Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Better late, than never!

,


































































 








Well here we are two days beyond the promise to view the family room. What can I say, daycare and big family room- ....... the perfect combination. It took an evening to get it photo-shoot ready.

The family room renovation came about 8yrs ago. The garage is directly over this room. One wintery day my then 10yr. old came to me and said , "there is a water bubble in the ceiling downstairs". He was right, but it was about 3ft. long. The short end of the story is that - snow melts off vehicles parked in garages, into cracks in the concrete and settles into the family room ceiling- thus the water bubble. I have before pictures, but don't know how to get them to this point. Let me paint the picture for you. Shag rust carpet, dark brown shiny paneling, wood -burning stove. And of course, water balloon ceiling ( which had to be gutted). Well, you get the picture. It needed a makeover, just wasn't planning on it at the time. I began drawing out the plan, and away we went. Up came the carpet, down came the paneling, walls taken out. Handyman built the entertainment center, we textured the walls, the previous wallpaper left gouges. We did the pine tongue and groove on the bottom of the wall. Behind the embossed rustic cabin wall paper is a toy room, perfect for daycare needs. We installed a gas fireplace, which now is the primary heat source for the room. I loved the brick that surrounded the old wood burning fireplace, so we left some in our entertainment center plan. Carpet was the last thing to be installed, and there she is. The old chest was a treasure given to me by a friend. I cut the big fish out and painted it. I love the way it looks. Our cabin family room is a room where friends gather and comfort is felt. We love it! I hope you also enjoy it. I am not a photographer, basement lighting is tricky, so the pictures aren't telling the rich moss green of the walls very well. By-the-way, I glazed the walls and it looks so old world.

Hope you enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment